Some countries are now able to transit through China without a visa.
The 72-hour and 144-hour policy allows foreign visitors to arrive and depart from any of the 51 cities listed below, via airports, cruise terminals and train stations without a visa, providing their overall stay is within the time limit.
Shanghai, Nanjing and Hangzhou have become the first cities in China to implement a 144-hour visa-free policy allowing transit passengers to stay for up to 144 hours without a visa.
Currently, the International visitors' short stay in China, 72-Hour Visa Free Transit policy is carried out in eighteen cities in Mainland China and allows transit passengers with passport of 51 countries to stay for up to 72 hours without a visa on direct transit.
You must make sure you have a valid visa for your destination country and an onward airline ticket with a confirmed seat.
Mainland China cities you can travel to where you can enjoy the 144-hour visa fee transit:
Passengers transiting in Shanghai, Nanjing and Hangzhou, and travel within the administrative precincts of Shanghai Municipality, Jiangsu Province and Zhejiang Province
Mainland China cities you can travel to where you can enjoy the 72-hour visa fee transit:
- Passengers transiting in Guangzhou, Chengdu, Qingdao, or Changsha are allowed to travel in the whole province.
- Passengers transiting in Beijing, Chongqing, Harbin, Guilin, Kunming, Wuhan, Xiamen, or Tianjin cannot leave the administrative area of the transit city.
- Passengers transiting in Shanghai, Zhejiang, or Jiangsu can move around the three places.
- Passengers stopping over in Dalian or Shenyang can travel in these two cities.
- Passengers transiting in Xian Xianyang Airport are permitted to travel in the administrative areas of Xian and Xianyang.
Current eligible countries that qualify for visa free transit:
Asia & Middle East Countries: Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, Qatar
Oceania Countries: Australia, New Zealand
Schengen Agreement Countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
European Countries: Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia (FYROM), Albania
The America's: the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile
If your country is not listed above, you will have to apply for a transit visa (G Visa).
For more information, visit visaforchina.org